April 10, 2007

Easter Breakthrough

Staying at home for five straight days was tough. That is how I would describe this year's Holy Week and Fall of Bataan day. I had spent a lot of money last month for a couple of special occasions and I will be spending a couple more later this month. I decided to put a hold on spending for five days and observe the Lenten season in utmost simplicity and quiet.

Everyone else was on vacation (including the printer with the rush project), so I looked forward to enjoying the temporary peace of the household and the neighborhood. I thought it would also be the perfect time to meditate on the Lord's Passion and Resurrection but I discovered to my dismay that I didn't know how to deal with unhurried time. I felt terrible! This was no way to appreciate the precious time God gave me to dwell on His goodness and mercy.

But hallelujah, the breakthrough came! I knew the Lord would show up sooner or later! I spotted the cassette tape of Handel's The Messiah among my things and played it. The Hallelujah Chorus filled me with awe. I adored this piece even before I became a Christian. Now that I am one, I listen to it in reverence. The composer's rendition of Revelation 11:15 gave me a glimpse of that glorious day in heaven when "loud voices" will sing: "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever."

Less popular but equally powerful is the majestic "Worthy is the Lamb" chorus. Its main lyrics were lifted from Revelation 5:12 and 13 that said ten thousand times ten thousand angels sang in a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!...To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, forever and ever!" I imagined how the most excellent choir on earth would pale in comparison to this massive angelic choir on that great and awesome day.

I choked as tears welled up in my eyes and I bowed down as the concluding piece, "Amen," completed my Easter morning worship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi ate Joy,check out my other site. http://www.hopebearer.multiply.com

um, borrow naman po ng "The Messiah". I am looking for one, wala ako makita.thanks! -lorah