April 07, 2007

The average's excellency

From time to time, I attempt to write...uh...poetry. Here's my recent shot at it. You could say they are reflections on Psalm 84:10:

Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
---------------

The Average's Excellency

Can't compose music like Dylan's buckets
Or paint empyrean skies on paper packets.
Words to me have no Shakespearean flow;
My feet usually dance too fast, too slow.

Don't hold your breath for Galilean theories;
I can give you a fix of childish stories.
No Platonic arguments from my cognition;
My profile doesn't hold newsworthy recognition.

Is it a failure to be so average?
What if I told you I have some courage?
I want to be where I am meant to be
Even with no worldly greatness, I will not flee.

One's life doesn't consist in the abundance of his possessions
Instead, what does he live for? What is his passion?
Let me respond to one particular call
To make Christ my excellency, my life, my all.

1 comment:

ate joy said...

this is the first time you've published a poem. and a good one it is! have you tried reciting this like a rap? that's what came to my mind when i read it. i must be watching too much american movies on cable...