September 03, 2006

Getting Sick

I have a confession to make. I didn't desire God that much the last few weeks. I got sick. It's the season, you know. Coughs and colds, I mean. I simply stared at the wall clock when it was time for me to get out of bed for my Bible reading. How I wished I could say my spirit was willing and it's only my flesh that was weak. But that wasn't the case. My body and spirit agreed to stay put--in bed!

Guess what, too? My Bible reading is now in the Book of Job! Honestly, that dampened my spirit further. Instead of switching to another less depressing Bible book, I just timed out and wallowed in my own misery. I knew God wanted to tell me something through that book, but I didn't have the spiritual guts to find out. (Coward!) But my journaling lost its vigor and my prayers felt limp and dry. My spirit ached for God and I knew what I had to do.

Now that I'm better (thanks to the mystery of the common cold called recovery), I'm reading my Bible again. I discovered something about myself during my spiritual leave of absence. It takes just a little physical discomfort to lose my desire for God's Word. This is not just about missing a morning routine and getting upset over it. I didn't really love God enough to think of Him and listen to Him during those physically weak times. Ouch! My spiritual pride!

Although reading Job won't be a pleasure trip, I want to learn from it just the same. After all, it IS God's Word. I would be insulting God if I read only the "easy" and "soothing" Bible passages. If I want to know Him more deeply, I will search for Him in every page of His Word. I want my devotion to Him to be constant "in sickness and in health."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a (another) devotional called 'Streams in The Desert' by Mrs. Charles Cowman. One of the thoughts is based on a couple of verses in the last chapter of Job. (sorry, I can't resist spoiling the surprise - the devil did it!!)

Anyways, she points out the fact that God restored Job's losses when he prayed for his friends... and showed how intercessory prayer is effective in greater ways than we might expect.